Rectorate of the Shrine
Speaking of the rectorate of the Shrine of Our Lady of Kibeho, it is important to note that this post, first occupied by the Diocesan clergy, is now entrusted to the Society of the Catholic Apostolate (Pallottines). As a result, the Diocese of Gikongoro and the Pallottine Fathers signed a specific agreement on March 25th, 2003. The Society of the Catholic Apostolate has the advantage of being an institute of pontifical right and being international, comprising both Africans and Non-Africans. The first team of Pallottines in Kibeho arrived on August 31st, 2003. The discharging and appointing of a rector of the shrine falls to the local ordinary, in accord with the Rector Regional of the Society of the Catholic Apostolate.
The role of the Rector of the Shrine is:
- To welcome the pilgrims coming to Kibeho, to give pastoral lectures and to help the pilgrims in different ways;
- To assure pastoral and liturgical animation;
- To organise guided tours of the shrine for pilgrims;
- To make the message of Kibeho public by various means;
- To look for favourers and benefactors of the shrine in accord with the local ordinary;
- To manage the properties of the shrine;
- To archive important documents related to the shrine
Pastoral Committe of the Shrine
The Shrine of Our Lady of Kibeho is provided with a “Pastoral Committee of the Shrine" implemented by the local ordinary. The founding of this institution goes back to November 28th, 1992, the date of the laying of the foundation stone. The role of this committee, co-ordinated by the rector of the shrine, is, among other things, to reflect on the liturgy as a group, to deal with issues concerning pastoral animation and to communicate the message of Kibeho by various means. Furthermore, they plan different projects, discuss which projects should be given priority and evaluate them once put into action. Last but not least, the committee coordinates various initiatives to promote and develop pilgrimages to the Shrine of Kibeho.